Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cleaning the Gutters/Compost Harvest

What a miserable task, so I procrastinated, as usual. But really, it didn't take long, and all that mess is actually perfect for the compost heap, as it is half rotted already. I love it when I get a reward for doing what I have to do anyway.

My composting is very simple. I don't use a bin, but keep a pile in a quiet corner of the yard. This is also available from a window, so I can easily add my vegetable peelings, eggshells, tea bags etc, all year long. I add the soil from flower pots at the end of the season, Starbucks is very obliging with free bags of coffee grounds, and all in all I can always get a few shovels full when I need them. It just needs to be turned occasionally.

I usually add some chopped up dead leaves to my containers, too. This has the advantage of filling up space, which conserves potting soil, as well as enriching and conditioning the soil. Try it, easy and effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment